Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Long Beautiful Trek

I live about 8 miles from work, but it takes me at least 40 minutes to get there every morning. Bad traffic? Traveling at a snail pace? Nope, I have three little ones to drop at two separate daycares in two opposite directions.

I have found myself complaining about this quite a bit (mostly because my husband rarely helps out with these drop-off and pick-up duties!)


When I graduated from college, I moved to Houston. Being from Dallas, I figured Houston was not too far of a leap for me to adjust to. Wow! I literally lived 10 miles from work but it could easily take me an hour to get home if I waited until 5pm to leave. I changed my hours and came into work early, so that I could leave early and make it in half the time (That's 10 miles in 30 minutes...still pretty crazy!) I only kept that job and that apartment in Houston for about 6 months. I was miserable.

I moved to The Woodlands, a suburb of Houston. While it was a far nicer place to live and I loved my job as a social worker at a nearby hospice, I still did not enjoy the congested traffic and large masses of people.


Fast forward to now, I am still driving a long time to get to work, but my drive is such a pleasant experience. I start out on our small county road, then hop on the local hwy for 8 miles to Brownsboro, where I work. From there, I drive on a farm to market road for about 3 miles in one direction to drop off Mann and Emma Jo. Then I turn around and go back the other direction, back through Brownsboro, across some railroad tracks and then turn onto a small, winding county road. I travel down this bumpy blacktop road for 5 miles to Daniel's daycare and then turn around and come back to Brownsboro! I have yet to make the whole trip, including time to drop them off and say our goodbyes, in less than 40 minutes.


But instead of brake lights, I see beautiful scenery. And it's not uncommon for us to see some deer leaping across the road infront of us. (And the ones we see are REAL, as opposed to those statues pictured above at the entrance to The Woodlands!;) And, of course, you can't beat the company I have chatting my ear off until we get there!



Photobucket






No comments:

Post a Comment