Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A so-called "Christian"

I saw a preview for a movie that looked really interesting. First, let it be said, that I am a fan of teen movies and TV shows. While the rest of my friends are watching more "grown-up" shows like Grey's Anatomy and Army Wives, I am watching The Secret Life of the American Teenager. I don't know why...I like to think it's because I am a teacher and can relate to teenagers and their way of thinking, but it's probably just because I am still a kid at heart!

Anyway, the movie is called Easy A. Cut to the chase, the part of the movie trailer that drew me in was Amanda Bynes character, who is supposed to be a "Christian." Here's the trailer, if you would like to see.



Now Amanda's character acts in the way I feel like many Christians are perceived by non-believers. Obviously, she goes about dealing with Olive the wrong way, but I think we all do this at some time or another. Talking badly about others, judging others, thinking you are better than someone else....we are all guilty of it and if you claim not to be, I think you are lying to yourself. I'm not too proud to say that I am a sinner. I ask for God's forgiveness during my quiet time in the morning, but know that, although I will try hard not to, I will sin again.

I don't want to be one of these types of Christians who are seen like the character in the movie. I read recently about a group of Christians in Waco who are ministering to strippers. Here's the story, if you care to read it:
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/Waco-ministry-reaches-out-to-exotic-dancers.html

How neat is that? (Seth also thought this a very exciting ministry as well, until I explained to him that he would not get to participate by going into the clubs:) My point is that we need to reach out to those who need us. We shouldn't just be cooped up in a room with other Christians talking about how bad the world is around us. Let's do something!

Don't speak evil against each other. If you criticize and judge each other, then you are criticizing and judging God's law. Your job is to obey the law, not to judge whether it applies to you. God alone, who gave the law, is the Judge. He alone has the power to save or to destroy. -James 4:11-12

1 comment:

  1. Very good article. OK "strippers" got my attention, but I read every word, and think they are absolutely right about the church being a little shy about approaching people in the "adult entertainment industry". Forty strippers in Waco? Try Arlington, there must be forty per block in some areas.
    If they start a ministry there, they could be busy for a long time.
    This is a good way to do some good, for a group that get's ignored, not only by the church, but by other groups as well.
    You won't see he EEOC,or OSHA in many strip clubs. Strippers don't trust each other,let alone anyone else. The owners of the clubs could care less. At most they are sub contractors. At some,they pay per night, so they can work. Drugs and crime are rampant in their "work place".
    This is a noble ministry. I wish them well.

    ReplyDelete