Thursday, January 6, 2011

Who are you looking up to?

Older women are to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers. Older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God. -Titus 2:3-5


I ran across this verse the other day and found myself re-reading it several times.


When I read this verse, I thought about my mother. Unfortunately, my mother did not get the chance to be "older." She passed away when she was 45. I was 17. I felt at the time, like a typical teenager, that I had nothing left to learn from my mother. Today I know that my mother's job was far from being complete in raising me.


My mother also missed out on being a grandmother. I already pray regularly that I will get to not only see, but take an active role in my grandchildren's lives. I think that some grandparents may take this precious privilege for granted.


When I read the verse, I considered what "older" women might be influencing my life in a positive way, and I had to smile at the first person who came to mind. I found it amusing because I only know the woman through the world of blogging! I know her daughters and their families and they are wonderful people, which allows me to conclude that since she raised them, she must be fantastic as well! But daily, this woman inspires me to be a better wife, mother and friend to others. She is exactly the kind of mother and grandmother that I hope to someday become.


We all need others to look up to. A positive role model can do wonders for a child, but, as the verse from Titus explains, can also make the difference in an adult's life as well! And think about it....maybe someone else is looking up to you and you didn't even realize it!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment