Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dig a little deeper

This is ridiculous! Our family is on a really tight budget. We shell out $1020 to $1200 a month to daycare, then have two car payments, a house payment and then all of those other bills....geez!

Our last paychecks came on December 17th, before we got out of school for Christmas Break. And we will not get paid again until January 27th. Now isn't that just CRAZY???! I think so. I would really like it if Brownsboro ISD decided to pay us bimonthly, like the rest of the civilized world. But as it is now, we are paid monthly, and we are in the middle of what I refer to as "the long stretch" without much money in the bank.

I just got home from the grocery store and I spent $73.46. I barely got enough food to last our family for a week. You know the feeling: You get everything put away and then you go look for something to eat and it looks like you don't have any food!

I recently watched the movie The Princess and the Frog with my kids. It is such a cute movie and there's a song that says something like, "You gotta dig a little deeper to find out who you are. When you find out who you are, you'll find out whatcha need." The message is that what we need and what we want are two different things.

I have been really having to dig a little deeper this last year with money being so tight and figure out the difference between what I want and what I need. I have never been good with money. When I have it, I tend to spend it quickly and then couldn't begin to tell you where it went! That has had to change and it has made a positive impact on me as a person.

Of course I want a new purse, but the pre-owned one I got at a garage sale does the job and looks cute too! And Emma Jo wore a darling dress to church today that we got second-hand, but I assure you that the fact that it wasn't bought new didn't make her look any less precious!

I know many people are in the same boat as us. With the rising prices, who can afford to go out and buy whatever you heart desires...and should you do that anyway? It's just stuff. It will make you happy for a moment, but the new will wear off and then you will be on to wanting the next new thing. And I will be there waiting to buy your perfectly good used stuff....LOL! :)

So dig a little deeper....and find out what you really need!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I know what you are saying. Getting ready for this baby has been a stretch for us. So much stuff we need! When I am really trying to stay low for a month in spending I try to find clothes that I can sell to resale shops. That way I also have a lot less stuff in my house. I bet you have a ton of cute kids stuff that can go to a good home!
    -Katy B (D)

    ReplyDelete