Thursday, June 17, 2010

Trying to raise respectful little monsters :)

Lately, it has become astoundingly clear to me that we have to stay on top of disciplining and teaching our children about respect. I teach 7th grade and I can easily tell whose parents have spent time on this topic and whose have not.

7th grade is a tough year for kids and every single one of my students can act out from time to time. But when I get serious and ask for a student's respect, I get one of two possible answers:

1. "Yes, Ma'am"

or

2. An eye roll with a dramatic sigh and a whiny "But, why? That's not fair!"


I want my kids to use answer #1.

I am not a perfect parent; there's no such thing. But I am doing my best to make sure that my kids act right...no excuses. And when they don't, we will address it.

It would be easier to be a lazy parent...to let my kids do whatever, but I have high expectations for them. They will make mistakes, they will make bad choices, but I am just trying to give them all of the resources I can for them to succeed.

They are just babies now, but everything that I am instilling will hopefully make a difference in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment