Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Joys of Pregnancy

I am one of those weird people who love being pregnant. I just love everything about it. I love the excitement of not-knowing before you find out the sex of the baby. The tiny flutters of movement are amazing and hearing the heartbeat at the doctor's visits is absolute heaven to me. Plus, you can gain some weight and that's okay because you're pregnant!



Before you freak out, no, I am not pregnant again. We are 99.9% sure we are finished having babies, which makes me pretty sad, especially as I watch Emma Jo not already walking, but running around the house.


I have two good friends who are pregnant to get me through this difficult time of accepting that I may never enjoy the fun of pregnancy again. One is due at the end of October, the other is due in February. Unfortunately for them, neither share a love of pregnancy with me.



But here's something to think about: I have had three beautifully perfect pregnancies and each pregnancy ended with a healthy, happy baby. It's easy when you are pregnant to get wrapped up in your own complaints and worries: Am I gaining too much weight? I don't have enough maternity clothes! My feet are so swollen and I am so tired!


My cousin, Kara, and I were both pregnant with little girls almost 16 months ago. Tessa Grace was born on April 17th and Emma Jo was born on April 25th. Tessa Grace went to heaven shortly after she was born. Kara knew her baby was probably not going to live, but she carried Tessa Grace, gave birth to her, and then gave her back to Jesus.


Imagine carrying a child, and going through a pregnancy and all that comes with it, but knowing that your child might not be with you but for a few moments. It is more than heart-breaking, and I cannot help but cry everytime I think about the loss my sweet cousin has endured. It could have been my child just as easily as it was hers. Kara is incredibly strong and has leaned on God for understanding. She is pregnant again, with another little girl, and at last report, all is looking good.

Today let us give thanks for all of the healthy pregnancies and healthy babies, and prayers for healing and understanding for the babies and parents that need it.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that. Good perspective to be reminded of as I've been worrying about how to handle two instead of just counting my blessings. You don't get more than you can handle, embrace life and take what ya get..

    ReplyDelete