Thursday, June 24, 2010

Do I really need this?

I sat down and finally finished watching the movie Confessions of a Shopaholic today. I have been watching it on and off all week during my kids' naptime. It was definitely a very goofy movie, but it did have an impact on me.

Shopping does just feel good! I, like most people, look forward to payday. But where does my money go? By the end of the month, I don't feel like I have much to show for all of the money I spent. At least the Rebecca, in the movie, can sell all of her fabulous clothes, but I look around and I really wonder...where the heck did it all go?

Not that's there's much to spend. I'm a teacher. Seth's a teacher. Our money goes to the basics...food, shelter, clothes....mostly for the kids, instead of us. (Although I have to note that Seth's clothes take up more room than mine in the closet, but that's a topic for another day!)

But there's still a good portion that I spend on little things here and there that cause me to be completely broke by the end of the month. Luckily for me, my husband is not as retarded with money as I am and he maintains his own checking account and our savings accounts. So....when my money runs out, at least I have his money, right? Wrong....he is really not very giving. And who can blame him? I had plenty of money for the month and I blew through it...buying things that I wanted, but didn't need. Apparently both Rebecca and I have the same problem defining the difference in those two words.

So, this month, I am on a budget. And before every purchase will ask, "Do I really need this?" Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment