Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mary versus the Magnolia

Let me paint you a picture:

On a quiet country blacktop road sits a nice ranch style brick home, with 4 bedrooms and 2 and a half bathrooms, and a large front porch stretching across the length of the house, perfect for sitting and watching the world go by. The front yard is shaded by 3 gigantic magnolia trees, each close to 100 years old, making the yard and porch literally at least 10 degrees cooler on those hot East Texas summer days. Their sweet aroma from their large white blossoms fills the air all around the lovely country home.

Yes, that's my house. Sounds pretty nice, right? Ummmm....not if you know anything about magnolia trees. While from a distance, they are very pretty, take a closer look and you will see quite a mess underneath them!

One magnolia tree I could probably deal with, but three is just ridiculous.

Leaves....EVERYWHERE. Cones....EVERYWHERE.

And it's not like these trees lose those leaves and cones just one time of year. Nope! The Southern Magnolia is an evergreen tree, which means that it is always green. Isn't that nice? It also means that everyday of the year, leaves are falling!

We have lived in this house for 5 years and although I tried to keep up the yard in the beginning, it wasn't long before I threw my hands in the air! It's a mess and it's never ending. We can't grow anything under them for all of the shade, so the front yard is just dirt.

Recently we have been making improvements to our home and I figured I might as well tackle the yard. WOW! Almost two full days of work and I am still raking! Perhaps letting the yard go for a few years wasn't such a great idea after all!

Well, at least I am making a difference now....but I have to be honest. It's very hard to stay positive when you just finished raking up a section of yard and then the wind blows and 5 more leaves fall right where you just raked!

Oh, bother!

No comments:

Post a Comment