Monday, September 20, 2010

You can't buy that

We are teachers.

My husband and I both teach. But I didn't set out to be a teacher. I majored in social work in college. Honestly, what I set out to be was a stay-at-home mom, like my mom. When Daniel was born, I stopped working to stay at home with him. Then Mann came along and we came to the realization that either Seth had to change his job or I had to go back to work. We chose for me to work and I wanted to teach, so that I would have as much time as possible with my children.

I am really glad that Seth chose to keep a job where he comes home every night. Before Daniel was born, Seth worked in the oil field. Unlike most oil field workers, Seth was able to come home almost everyday to see me, but he worked very long hours. The money was very good, but the lifestyle was not for us. After Daniel was born, Seth quit the oil field and returned to college to finish his last few hours to graduate so that he could teach and coach.
But when Mann was born, we talked about him going back to the oil field. He would be able to make alot of money and I would be able to stay at home, but the work is dangerous and he would be gone half of the time. Can you imagine how much you would miss only being with your children for 50% of their lives?
Plus, there is no certainty in your job. It could be there one week and gone the next.

I am happy that we decided to stick with teaching. Yes, money is tight and football season is busy, but Daddy is home every night. There is no amount of money that can buy time with your family.



Thank you, Seth, for putting your family first!

Sidenote: I am not saying in this post that all oil field workers do not put their families first. I am just proud of Seth for recognizing what was best for OUR family. I happen to personally know some great daddies that work in the oil field.

No comments:

Post a Comment