Thursday, September 9, 2010

Can you see them?

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to see and admit your faults?

It's like your clothing size. You may justify it saying, "Well, this brand obviously runs small," but the truth of the matter is that your butt is too big for that size. But it's just so much easier to blame it on the brand of clothing than admit those few extra pounds to yourself!




The same holds true for personality faults. When you look at yourself, it's easy to see the great things about your character. You are smart, you are funny, you are loving. But what are people saying about you when you walk away? You are selfish? You are bossy? Do you even want to know?

I have never wanted to be able to read minds. I think I would hate to know what is going on in people's minds. One of my faults is my mouth. It's big, it's loud and it runs constantly. It's something I have been working on, but it is a conscious decision that I have to make to just shut up sometimes!


I also tend to be fake. I like to justify it as "being nice" but if I don't like you, you probably will never know it. This one is really hard for me to fix. It's something that has been ingrained in me from a very early age. You are to be nice and carry on pleasant conversation with everyone, even your worst enemies. But really, what am I supposed to do? Be mean to someone I do not really care to talk to? That's not likely to happen. But then some people might call me "fake" or "two-faced." See, I am doing it now...justifying my faults. :)

Then there are faults you may not even know you have. Those are the really scary ones. Do you wish people would tell you? That sounds kind of scary. Maybe you don't want to know!
I think the best thing to do is to ask God to help you see your faults so that you may work on becoming a better person. But only do this if you are serious about following through with it! (Last Tuesday night I prayed for God to help me be a better parent. Mann bit at daycare for the next three days in a row. He has not bit someone since he was Emma Jo's age! Yep, that's God helping me work on my parenting skills for sure!)
So, if you are brave enough, ask God to show you your faults. From those few extra pounds to the skeletons in your closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment