Sunday, July 25, 2010

I hear you now....


A good friend gave me a book to read the other day. She said it was a fiction novel, but based on a book in the Bible, Hosea. I hated to admit to her that I had never known there was such a book, not to mention I had no idea what Hosea was about. As if she could read my mind she laughed and said, "I didn't know what Hosea was about either."

As I looked at the book, I did not see how I could possibly read it. It was huge, 468 pages! Hello....I have three very small children. When exactly do I have time to read?

Take it and read it.

It wasn't my friend's voice, but another voice I heard in the back of my mind. Ok, maybe I can read it as I watch the kids play outside or at night after their bedtime.

As it turned out, Hosea was about a man who was instructed by God to marry a prostitute. Interesting story line. The novel took the Biblical story and placed it in California in 1850. I haven't finished it yet. I am about halfway through it and I have not been able to put it down.

There are two main things I have learned so far from this book. One, is small, but not insignificant. I have far more time on my hands than I thought. Instead of turning on the television, instead of "living on facebook" (as my husband puts it), I have been reading. I had forgotten how much I enjoy reading! Books are great. They stir your imagination in a way that TV or the internet cannot and they are very portable!

The second thing I have learned was more important. I have heard God.


I have always heard people say, "And God told me to...." and I thought they were crazy. They are just imagining God talking to them, so they can justify their actions. I talked to God all of the time, but I had never heard him talk back. Why does He talk to others, but not me?

But I have always heard God. He is that little voice in my head that I usually ignore. He warns me of danger and he tells me when I am wrong. Suddenly it has become so clear. He has been talking to me all along, but I just have failed to listen.
He told me to read the book. And today he told me to apologize to my husband for being short with him (that was not so fun, but felt so right when I did it!)
So, now I am all ears. What else does He have to say? Lots, probably, now that He has my attention!
Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what He is saying. -Revelation 2:7
PS - Thank you, Holly, my wonderful friend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment